Recently my wife and I went to Kenji for dinner. We had high expectations of this place. We ordered a sashimi main (24 pieces of raw seafood) and a combination dish of sashimi and sushi for a hefty $33 each. The food came out quickly and was well presented. We finished our meal and went home. As soon as we arrived home, we both felt very ill. I had a very bad diarrhoea and my wife had a very upset stomach for the rest of the evening. Not surprisingly we didn't sleep at all that night.
The next day I called the restaurant and spoke to its manager. I told her that we felt ill after eating at her restaurant and kindly asked her for a refund. She refused to give us a refund on the grounds that no other customers have reported being ill. I have given her my contact details, but haven't heard from her since. Later I contacted the city council about this poisoning and they performed a full inspection of the restaurant. Unfortunately I do not know the outcome of that inspection.
This experience has left us shattered and we are now avoiding all Japanese food. This is not what you expect from a multiple-award winning restaurant (best asian restaurant 2007-2010) that is considered one of the best in Adelaide. Food poisoning from raw seafood is very serious and can even lead to death.
people found this review helpful.